The parties to the Saint Lazare Constitution declare, in conformity with the spirit and the Constitutional Charter of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem, that the following principles are fundamental to our Christian mission for the happiness, harmonious relations and security of all peoples:
- Health is a state of complete physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity
- The enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of health is one of the basic rights of every human being without distinction of race, religion, political belief, economic or social condition
- The health of all peoples is fundamental to the attainment of peace and security and is dependent upon the fullest cooperation of individuals and states
- The achievement of any state, population or group in the promotion and protection of the health, social well-being and spiritual welfare of its peoples is of value to all
- Unequal development in different countries, populations or social or religious groups in the promotion of health and control of disease, especially communicable disease, is a common danger
- Healthy development of the child is of basic importance; the ability to live harmoniously in a changing environment is essential to such development
- Informed opinion and active cooperation are of the utmost importance in the improvement of the health of all peoples
- Saint Lazare and its partners accept responsibility for promoting the health and harmonious relations of all those for whom they work through their charitable activities.
Accepting these principles, and for the purpose of social and spiritual cooperation among themselves and with others to promote and protect the health and social and spiritual well-being of all peoples, the contracting parties agree to the present Constitution and hereby establish the Saint Lazare organization as a specialised agency within the terms of Article III of the Constitutional Charter of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem.